What is the national curriculum for History at KS2?
The national curriculum for history at KS2 focuses on developing a strong understanding of British, local, and global history in a chronological manner. The curriculum aims to help children recognize and analyze contrasts and trends throughout different time periods.
At KS2, students delve into a variety of history topics. These include a detailed study of the Roman Empire, exploring its impact on Britain and delving into the rise and fall of the empire, its rulers, religions, and rebellions.
Another essential topic is the Anglo Saxons, where students learn about the settlement of these people in Britain. They explore their villages, inventions, and the intriguing history that shaped their existence.
The curriculum also covers the Vikings and their struggle for the Kingdom of England, specifically during the time of Edward the Confessor. Students gain insight into the raids, laws, and lifestyle of the Viking people as well as their lasting influence on Britain.
Furthermore, students explore the achievements of ancient civilizations such as Ancient Sumer, The Indus Valley, Ancient Egypt, The Shang Dynasty of Ancient China, and Ancient Greece. These studies provide students with a broader understanding of different societies and their contributions to human history.
In addition to these topics, the curriculum emphasizes the study of a non-European society that contrasts with British history. For instance, the Mayan civilization is often explored to encourage a diverse understanding of different cultures and their historical significance.
The teaching materials provided for each of these KS2 history topics offer a range of activities in various formats. They serve as reliable tools for educators to effectively teach their students, in line with the national curriculum aims for history.
What are some examples of ancient civilizations covered in KS2 history?
In KS2 history, students explore a range of ancient civilizations to develop a chronologically secure understanding of British, local, and global history. Here are some examples of ancient civilizations covered in KS2:
- The Roman Empire: Students delve into the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, its impact on Britain, and the fascinating aspects of its rulers, religions, and rebellions.
- Anglo Saxons: The story of how the Anglo Saxons came to settle in Britain is explored, including their villages, inventions, and the intriguing details of their tumultuous history.
- The Vikings: Students learn about the Vikings and their struggle for the Kingdom of England up to the time of Edward the Confessor. They delve into the raids, laws, lifestyle, and the lasting impact of the Viking people on the future of Britain.
- Ancient Civilizations: Various ancient civilizations are studied for their incredible achievements. These include Ancient Sumer, The Indus Valley, Ancient Egypt, The Shang Dynasty of Ancient China, and Ancient Greece, allowing students to explore the rich cultural and historical legacies of these societies.
- Non-European Civilizations: To broaden perspectives, students also explore a non-European civilization that contrasts with British history. For example, the Mayan civilization, known for its advanced architecture, mathematics, and understanding of astronomy.
These KS2 history topics offer a wide range of activities and reliable teaching materials, which assist educators in effectively teaching children about the historical significance of these ancient civilizations.
What topics are covered in KS2 history?
"Discover the fascinating world of KS2 history with a variety of engaging topics that will captivate young minds. Our curriculum ensures children develop a strong understanding of chronology, both in British and global history. Let's explore the exciting topics covered in KS2 history:
- Romans in Britain - History, Art, Maths: Uncover the captivating story of the Roman Empire and its profound influence on Britain. Delve into the rise and fall of the empire, its rulers, religions, and rebellions. Engage your students with a range of activities that combine history, art, and even mathematical concepts to bring this vibrant era to life.
- Saxons - Coming Soon: Stay tuned for an upcoming exploration of the Saxons, a dynamic people who played a significant role in shaping Britain's history. From their settlements to their remarkable inventions, we will provide you with valuable teaching materials to help your students understand the tumultuous history of the Saxons.
- Stone, Bronze, and Iron Ages - Science, Art, Design & Technology, History, Maths: Embark on a journey through time as we delve into the fascinating Stone, Bronze, and Iron Ages. This interdisciplinary topic integrates science, art, design & technology, history, and even mathematical concepts. Uncover the mysteries of these ancient periods and ignite your students' curiosity with hands-on activities that bring the past to life.
But that's not all! Our curriculum extends beyond these captivating eras. Explore additional topics that will broaden your students' historical horizons:
- - Building Bridges - Science, Design & Technology, Geography, History, Maths: Immerse your students in the wonders of engineering and construction as they learn about the history and science behind building bridges. This topic seamlessly integrates science, design & technology, geography, history, and mathematical skills.
- - Fossils - Science, Art, English, History, Maths: Unearth the secrets of the past with a thrilling exploration of fossils. Engage your students in scientific inquiry, artistic expression, language skills, and historical understanding. Discover the significance of fossils and their impact on our understanding of ancient life.
Our curriculum materials have been carefully crafted to align with the national curriculum aims, ensuring reliability and effectiveness in teaching your children. With our range of activities and resources, you'll be equipped with the necessary tools to inspire a deep love for history and a solid understanding of its rich tapestry."
How can these teaching materials support teaching history at KS2?
"Welcome to Hands-On Education, your go-to hub for primary school teachers and home educators looking for free and paid activities for key stage one and key stage two students. Our goal is to make teaching and learning a fun and engaging experience while supporting the core curriculum in English, maths, and science.
We understand that as a teacher or parent, time is of the essence. That's why we have curated a list of activities that align with key stage two history topics, helping you seamlessly integrate history into your lessons. Our activities cover a wide range of historical periods, including the Romans in Britain, Saxons, and Stone, Bronze, and Iron Ages.
For primary teachers looking to reinforce mathematical concepts, we offer a variety of paid maths activities that are both educational and enjoyable. These activities focus on teaching fractions, decimals, and percentages, providing a practical application of these concepts in historical contexts.
In addition to maths, hands-on science experiments are also available to explore key scientific principles while delving into historical topics. Our science activities cover fascinating subjects like electricity and sound, allowing students to uncover the scientific aspects of historical events.
We believe in the power of interdisciplinary learning, and our history activities integrate with other subjects such as art, maths, design & technology, and geography. By intertwining these areas, we provide a holistic learning experience that fosters a deeper understanding of history and its connections to the world around us.
At Hands-On Education, we strive to make your teaching journey easier and more engaging. Our extensive collection of resources ensures that you have everything you need to create exciting history lessons. We believe that learning should always be fun, and we are here to support you in achieving that goal. Explore our activities today and inspire your KS2 students with the wonders of history!"
How can these teaching materials assist in creating engaging history sessions?
Welcome to Hands-On Education, your go-to hub for primary school teachers and home educators looking for free and paid activities for key stage one and key stage two students. We understand that as a teacher or parent, time is of the essence, so we have compiled a list of fun and engaging activities that align with core curriculum topics in English, maths, and science.
For key stage two students, we offer a range of free and paid activities that align with the core curriculum in English, maths, and science. Our free English activities include writing prompts and reading comprehension exercises that help children develop their language skills. These activities are designed to make learning enjoyable and interactive, sparking students' interest and encouraging their creativity.
In addition to English, our paid maths activities provide hands-on games and exercises that teach key concepts such as fractions, decimals, and percentages. By utilizing these activities, children can develop a strong mathematical foundation while having fun with practical and engaging tasks.
For the science enthusiasts, we have a variety of experiments focused on electricity and sound. These hands-on activities allow children to explore scientific concepts through exciting experiments, fostering a deep understanding of how electricity and sound work in the real world.
At Hands-On Education, we believe that learning should always be fun and engaging. That's why we have carefully curated these resources to ensure they align with the core curriculum, while also providing an interactive and stimulating learning experience for children. We are here to support you on your teaching and learning journey, and we hope that these resources will assist you in creating engaging sessions that inspire a love for learning in your students.
What teaching materials are available for KS2 history?
"Welcome to our collection of KS2 history teaching materials! Here, you'll find a variety of engaging resources designed to bring history to life for primary school students. Explore different topics such as the Romans in Britain, the Stone, Bronze, and Iron Ages, building bridges, and fossils. Our materials cover a range of subjects including history, art, science, design & technology, geography, English, and maths, ensuring a well-rounded learning experience.
Delve into the rich history of the Romans in Britain, where students can immerse themselves in history, art, and even apply mathematical concepts to deepen their understanding. Journey further back in time to the Stone, Bronze, and Iron Ages, where students can explore the wonders of science, unleash their creativity in art and design & technology, and even discover how maths played a role in these ancient civilizations.
Our collection of teaching materials is carefully curated to align with the KS2 history curriculum, providing teachers with a range of versatile resources. These materials include worksheets, games, activities, and even beautifully illustrated display resources that can transform your classroom into an engaging learning environment.
With our dedication to quality and accuracy, you can trust that all our materials have been created by our team of experienced teachers. We understand the importance of providing educators with reliable and effective tools to make teaching history at KS2 a breeze. Whether you're looking for visually captivating posters or interactive worksheets, our aim is to support you every step of the way.
So, browse through our collection and discover the perfect resources to bring history to life for your students. Downloading is simple, and with our expertly designed teaching materials, you'll have everything you need to create dynamic and engaging history lessons. Get ready to embark on an exciting journey through time with our KS2 history teaching materials!"